This one hour class will dive deep into the craft of milk steaming. You will learn how to create microfoam for all drink types with a wide variety of milk options. Furthermore, you’ll be taught the fundamentals of latte art and learn how to pour everything from a dot to a rosetta. No prior experience is required.
What you’ll learn:
- The Science Behind Milk Steaming. Learn why different types of milk foam differently. We will discuss the difference between whole milk, alternatives, non-fat, and how to approach each one when steaming.
- How to Create Microfoam. Learn and discuss proper steaming techniques to create milk foam for cappuccinos, lattes, and drinks alike.
- Latte Art Fundamentals. We will review basic form and latte art fundamentals including how to hold your cup, pitcher, and how to position them properly to achieve different pours.
- Latte Art Pours. Your instructor will walk you through pouring multiple designs from beginner to intermediate. These include a dot, heart, rosetta, and tulip.
- Cleaning & Maintenance. Demonstration of steam wand maintenance and basic cleaning.
- Steam Wand
- Espresso (80g coffee minimum preferably one 12-16oz bag)
- Milk Pitcher
- ½ - 1 gallon of milk of choice, preferably whole or barista alternative
- 2 microfiber towels
Meet your instructor
Sam has been a part of the Clive family since Sept of 2018. She came to us from Florida where her love of coffee was discovered by working as a barista. In 2015, Sam landed in Portland to work with Portland Coffee Roasters as their primary wholesale account manager and coffee trainer. During this time, she also did work for Pacific Foods Barista Series alternative milk in their lab and at SCAA. Sam has taught classes at the American Barista & Coffee Workshops in Portland, as well as leading home barista classes at Clive. Now spearheading the entire education department at Clive, her focus is on our learn espresso journal articles, live classes in Portland, and now online-only classes. Sam’s approach to teaching is thorough, careful, and most importantly, light-hearted and fun.