How to Clean Your Coffee Grinder
Once you get your grinder dialed in, the cleaning and maintenance is a breeze. The easiest way to clean your coffee grinder or espresso grinder is to use Urnex Grindz. But we'll show you how to clean it manually as well.
Cleaning your Coffee or Espresso Grinder with Grindz
The easiest way to clean a grinder is to run Grindz through it every couple of months. The following is from our partners at Urnex:
Before using Grindz, make sure to empty your hopper of any old coffee and adjust your grind 3 to 4 steps coarser.
- Add 1 packet (35 grams) of grinder cleaner tablets into an empty grinder.
- Grind the whole package through your grinder and discard.
- Add 40 grams or 4-5 tablespoons of old coffee to your hopper.
- Grind the coffee to help push through any Grindz left in the burrs and discard.
Cleaning your coffee or espresso grinder without Grindz:
- 1 can of compressed air
- 1 vacuum with nozzle attachment (optional)
- 1 brush
- 1 clean, dry towel
- Remove the hopper and empty it of any whole bean coffee.
- Use a clean, dry towel to wipe out the inside of the hopper. Avoid using a damp towel–any extra moisture in the grinder can cause ground coffee to stick to the burrs, resulting in jams and stalls.
- Use compressed air and a brush to clear any coffee in the burrs and grind chute. We recommend covering the top of the grinder with a towel to minimize coffee spraying into the air.
- If you have a vacuum with a nozzle attachment, use it to clean any loose coffee from the burrs, chute and counter.
- Replace the hopper and open the hopper throat.
- Enjoy your freshly cleaned grinder!